The convenience of communication through mobile phones is obvious – but at one point or another, we all have realized their limitations in situations of emergency or while being out in the wilderness.
In those demanding times, a great alternative is compact two-way radios. They provide fast, simple, and clear communication, which is essential in the case of disaster or crisis. The applications vary from industrial, commercial, to even recreational use.
What are two-way radios?
As the name indicates, two-way radios are the advanced radio technology that operates two ways. Unlike broadcasters, it can both convey and accept radio signals. This audio transceiver gives operators the chance to converse with other radios working on the same radio frequency by sending and receiving content (audio and data) over radio waves.
Types of two-way radios
The availability of two-way radios extends to four types: repeater base station, handheld, desktop base station, and vehicle-mounted mobile. Read below to know what type you need for you or your business.
- You might have seen people carrying walkie-talkies and communicating through them. These are basically portable handheld two-way radios.
- For the coverage of radio content at a much larger area, two-way radio repeaters are employed. It works by receiving radio waves from a typical two-way radio and then broadcasting it at a comparatively higher wattage on distinct frequencies.
- Desktop main stations two-way radios work by employing main powers. They can be attached to a cable that extends to externally mounted antennas at different heights to cover various ranges.
- As the name suggests, vehicle-mounted two-way radios are launched on cars or trucks. They use a battery of the vehicle for power and externally mounted antennas for better range.
How do two-way radios work?
The message through two-way radios goes through instant stages of audio signals to radio waves in the transmitter and vice versa in the receiver. For this, it is essential that both the radios are working on the same frequencies.
For talking into the microphones, the users need to hold the Push to talk button on the radio. As they speak, their message is converted into radio waves which transmit through air. Upon striking the receiver at a similar operating frequency, the waves are converted into audio signals, which can be comprehended.
This conversion of radio waves can be dispatched both as an analog or digital signal. In addition to the audio messages, text messages or other forms of data can also be sent with the availability of digital radio.
Why two-way radios?
In this era of various wireless communications, two-way radios still hold a significant place and practical implementation in real-life scenarios. If you take the best examples out there from some of the most credible top 10 review sites, the effectiveness, and the overall rating is likely to be based on the following criteria:
- The reliable Companion
During emergencies or disasters, when call service towers and landlines began to be ineffective, two-way radios continue to perform the task of instant communication. It stays unaffected by such situations and plays the vital role of conveying messages to the rescue services.
- The fast, clear, and easy communication provider
It is a flexible form of communication with the message, just a talk to push button away. It gives clear communication by reducing the effect of factors like wind noise, vibration resistance, wet conditions, or high temperatures.
- Group communication
It gives the opportunity to communicate with a large group of people at once with the option of creating specific channels. It saves one’s time from repeating the same instruction or warning over again.
- Cost- highly affordable
In addition to two-way radios’ affordable price of purchase, they are highly cost-effective as there is no requirement of service contracts or communication minutes.