Blue light can affect our eyes and its exposure can be not good for our overall health. We have been hearing this for a long time now. Various marketing and advertising companies have shown this in ads that blocking glasses that have blue light can cause insomnia. Since blue light exposure is a major concern among people this article addresses the issues related to it and the myths that have been circulating about blue light. We need to understand what blue light is and how it affects your eyes. Let us have a look at this article on all these details.
What is blue light?
The light that comes from the sun our various colors combined which let us see a white light. This white light is referred to as sunlight. However, some rays are on the blue end of the visible spectrum that has high amounts of energy and are shorter than the red counterparts. We have been hearing about ultraviolet Rays, like the blue light can be both beneficial and dangerous depending on how it is used.
How does blue light affect us?
This myth has been circulating for so long that blue light can cause so much damage to us. For all those people we have news that blue light is everywhere and it isn’t all bad! The main source of light is sunlight but several other man-made sources surround us every time. Ranging from LED lightning to the screens on our devices, blue light is something that we encounter every day. The sunlight comes filtered to us and its Rays aren’t bad. However, The light that comes from these man-made sources can be harmful and its long-term exposure can’t affect us a great deal. During daytime blue light that is considered to be very dangerous is very beneficial to us.
This light improves our focus, reaction times, and even our moods. Psychologists have complete studies on how blue light can affect parts of our brain that can stimulate good vibes or simply serotonin. However it has also been known and experts have also claimed that being exposed to blue light at the time of night can interrupt our sleep patterns, it can also deteriorate our vision and eye health and it is one of the leading causes of migraines and eye strains. The prolonged exposure can cause retinal damage and degeneration that is age-related, which can, in turn, lead to loss of vision. According to research conducted by ophthalmologists, almost 40 to 60% of people experience ocular problems because of prolonged exposure to electronic displays.
The strain that is caused by the exposure to dangerous light can cause:
- Eye fatigue
- Eye irritation
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Eye Rashes
- Blurred or double vision
When people are exposed to this blue light for a long time, even if they stop exposing their eyes to either there is a chance that they will keep experiencing continued discomfort.
- You can use a blue light filter on your electronic devices.
- If you are not comfortable with the blue light filter, you can also use light-blocking all glasses or purchase a filter for your smartphone tablets or computer screens. These filters are made of tempered glass that can also protect your device’s screen from damage.
- You can stop using the blue light producing screen almost one hour before you go to sleep.
- You can also download a blue light filter app on your smartphone.
- The 2020 method is old but very beneficial for your eyes. after staring at the screen for 20 minutes you can shift your focus on something else for 20 minutes. This can relax your eyes and the rays do not keep affecting continuously.
Blue light is dangerous but if the necessary measures are taken, you can stay protected from it. The only thing you need to do is follow the simple steps and encounter blue light as little as possible.