Your immunity system controls and regulates all your other systems and organs. It plays a crucial role in regulating the body’s metabolism and functions. It keeps the functions of your immune cells and tissues in good shape. It is therefore important for the entire body to have a strong immune system to fight against infections and dangerous microorganisms. There are many ways to boost your immune system by consuming various nutrients that are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Maintaining Your Immune Health
- The first step towards maintaining a healthy immune system is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain all the essential nutrients that are required to keep the body and immune system in great working condition. Studies show that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help you live a longer life span. These foods not only improve your gut health but overall health and fitness and also help in weight loss. In addition to fruits and vegetables, it is important to include protein-rich foods, which are very effective in fighting bacteria and viruses.
- Dairy products, especially those that come from grass-fed cows, are good sources of proteins. It is important to consume these products in their natural form as cooking destroys most of the beneficial nutrients. However, consuming dairy products in their purest form like cheese, milk, yogurt and cream can still help strengthen the immunity of the body. Other immunity boosting foods include poultry products like chicken and turkey, fish and seafood, green leafy vegetables and certain fruits. These foods help in boosting the immune system and providing energy and other vital nutrients to the body.
- The best time to start eating the right kinds of immunity-boosting foods is when you first start to experience colds or other ailments. Although most of these food sources can be eaten at any time of the day, fresh fruits and properly cooked vegetables are the best options as they are easily digested and absorbed by the body. If you have just started following a diet for immunity-boosting foods, make sure you cook these foods well, and chew them properly for good digestion.
- You should choose three or four types of immunity-boosting foods that you can include in your daily diet. If you feel that you are having weak immunity and you think you might get sick quite often, you should include more protein, calcium and gut friendly foods like idli, dosa, sauerkraut, pickle, yogurt etc in your diet.
- You can also try turmeric smoothie, turmeric milk, masala chai, green juice, hot lemonade, pumpkin soup, tomato rasam etc. These easy to make homemade drinks will not only strengthen your immune system but also improve your overall immune system. Making juices and nutritional drinks with natural ingredients, easily available at home are one of the best ways to stay fit and healthy.
Remember that while vegetables and fruits are the ideal choices for boosting your immunity, you should also include meat and protein in your diet for building muscle strength. Eating well-balanced meals consisting of the right kinds of immunity-boosting foods will ensure that you keep your body strong and healthy throughout your life.